Child Support with money in the backgroundGetting child support is not as easy as proving that the non-custodial parent is the child’s birth parent. There are several hurdles to overcome before getting a fair child support amount. Once you start the process in pursuit of child support, your case will be categorized differently.

These designations are included under Title IV of the 1975 Social Security Act. It is imperative to hire a child support attorney in Denver to help you understand which designation your case falls into and how the classification affects the case.

IV-D Cases

These comprise cases in which the custodial parent receives some assistance from the local child support enforcement office. This office can help establish paternity, locate a non-custodial parent, or establish and enforce your child support order. There exist non-IV-D cases in which your child support is privately maintained after divorce. These at times become IV-D cases if you need the assistance of your child support enforcement office for collection of child support.

 IV-E Cases

These encompass cases in which a child is cared for by people other than his/her parents, such as relatives and foster parents. Type IV-E cases are referred to the child support enforcement office. Child support payments can then be collected from the child’s non-custodial parent/s.

IV-A Cases

This category includes cases in which a custodial parent is in a state public assistance program. The state defrays the child support case for these parents to their local child support enforcement office. This way, the payment is directly collected from a non-custodial parent.

The designation of your case into the categories above is only the first step in getting your child support. Getting a good lawyer to guide you through the process is important. This will hasten the process and help guarantee a fair child support amount.